Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 14

The past, present, and future of libraries is very important to me (and probably to most teachers), so I find this to be an interesting topic, even though I'm not directly involved. Several items did ring true to me. "...if our services can't be used without training, then it's the services that need to be fixed. . . " made me remember how difficult it has been for me to use the card catalog on the computer rather than in the drawers. The Library 2.0 movement seems to be aimed at making services more accessible to users. the idea of a collective intelligence sounds like some of the books I read in the '70's, but I liked the idea then and I still do! I'd never thought of libraries functioning as "conversations", but if users are able to participate in the development and evolution of those services, then I guess it's a valid idea. I wonder if I'll eventually be able to craft my own library!

No comments: